Dan Merritt, the co-owner of Green Brain Comics in Dearborn, joins Seth and Becky on the podcast to talk about what's happening in Detroit this week. Also, Bailey Sisoy Isgro of the Detroit History Club calls in to talk about Detroit's roller skating roots and the lighting of the Detroit Menorah. And Amer Zahr previews the 1001 Laughs Dearborn Comedy Festival
Here's what's happening in metro Detroit for the week of December 3, 2018:
- Friday 12/7: The Piano Guys at Fox Theatre
- Friday 12/7: Karen Newman's Christmas Spectacular at the Ford Community & Performing Arts Center in Dearborn
- Saturday 12/8: The Verve Pipe at the Royal Oak Music Theatre
- Sunday 12/9: Ingrid Michaelson at the Royal Oak Music Theatre
- Wednesday 12/12: The Internet at Saint Andrews Hall
- Thursday 12/6: Hip Hop Nutcracker at the Masonic Temple
- Thursday 12/6: The Moth at Marble Bar (Theme: Instincts)
- Saturday 12/8: All Star Comedy Festival at Fox Theatre
- Tuesday 12/11: Michelle Obama at the Little Caesars Arena
- Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike at the Studio Theatre at Wayne State's Hillberry Theatre (opening)
- Detroit Public Theatre: Cry It Out (closing)
- Mark Ridley's Comedy Castle in Royal Oak: Ross Bennett
- Punch Line Comedy Lounge in Southfield: Bald Head Phillps
- Saturday 12/8: Check out the PonyRide Holiday Market, part of Corktown Aglow
- Saturday 12/8: The (haunted) Michigan Firehouse Museum in Ypsilanti hosts its first ParaCon
- December 8th, 15th, & 16th: Have Breakfast with Santa at the Detroit Zoo.
- Go see Santa at the GM RenCen.
- TopGolf has finally come to Michigan with a new location in Auburn Hills!
- Rainbow City Roller Rink has popped up near Campus Martius.
Food & Drink
- Sierra Nevada is teaming up with Michigan breweries to cell Resilience Butte Country Proud IPA. Proceeds will benefit the Camp Fire Relief Fund.
- Sunday 12/9: Detroit's cocktail industry will have its first ever Golden Jigger Awards.
- Bid to win a visit to the set on NBC's The Good Place and lunch with Second City Detroit alum Marc Evan Jackson.
- Free Bikes 4 Kidz is refurbishing bikes for Detroit kids.
- Detroit author Saladin Ahmed wrote the upcoming Miles Morales: Spider Man #1 and Abbott, which is set in Detroit.
- Favorite Moment in Detroit History: Last Performance of Gwar with singer Oderus Urungus at Harpo's
- Favorite Dive Bar: The Bronx in Midtown
- Favorite Place for a Romantic Date: Detroit City Distillery in Eastern Market
- Favorite Local Radio DJ: Doug Podell
- Michigan Comic Creators People Should Know: Jim Starlin (author of The Infinity Gauntlet) and Dan Mishkin (the creator of Amethyst)