Josh Adams, the stand-up comic that Thrillist recently named the “Best Undiscovered Comedian in Michigan,” joins Seth and Becky on the podcast to talk about what's happening in Detroit, including: the 20th anniversary of Eminem's Slim Shady LP, Detroit's new beach, and a pub crawl facing backlash.
Plus, movie man Greg Russell offers his take on the Oscars, and Fran Kirmser and Chris Burney talk about their upcoming production of “Follow the Trail of Dead Russians” with Detroit Public Theatre at MOCAD.
Here's what's happening in metro Detroit for the week of February 25th, 2019:
- Thursday 2/28: Jazz on the Streets of Old Detroit featuring Sky Covington at Detroit History Museum
- Thursday 2/28: Dangerous Days: A performance Tribute to Sinead O'Connor at Gaelic League Irish American
- Friday 3/1: Jacob Banks at The Majestic
- Friday 3/1: Michael Buble at Little Caesars Arena
- Friday 3/1 Andrew McMahon at The Fillmore
- Saturday 3/2: Thornetta Davis at The Token Lounge in Westland.
- Saturday 3/2: James Blake at Royal Oak Music Theatre
- Saturday 3/2: National Arab Orchestra A Night of Tarab at Music Hall
Comedian Josh Adams
- Thursday 2/28: Jeff Dunham at Little Caesars Arena
- Friday 3/1: After Dark: Mardi Gras at The Michigan Science Center
- Friday 3/1 & Saturday 3/2: Wayne State's 90th annual Spring Dance Concert at Bonstelle Theatre
- Friday 3/1 – Saturday 3/2: The 67th Annual Autorama at Cobo Center
- Sunday 3/3: WWE NXT Live at Royal Oak Music Theater
- Thursday 3/7: Carlos Mencia at Soundboard
Peter Farrelly Shouts Out Shinola at The Oscars
- Cobo Hall is getting a new name! The Cobo Covention Center sold its naming rights to Chemical Bank for $1.5 million annually for 22 years.
- There's a new DIA exhibit with a large collection of Pop Art from 1960 to 1975.
- March 1st – April 14th: In Downtown Detroit, a white ball beach will replace the roller skating rink.
- There's been a much-needed management change at El Club in Mexicantown.
Michiganders Jamie Ray Newman and Guy Nattiv won an Oscar for SKIN
Food & Drink
- Tuesday 3/5: Paczki Day! Here's a handy guide from Eater Detroit.
- Tuesday 3/5: Mardi Gras! Celebrate with a King Cake from Astoria in Greektown or Royal Oak, grocery stores like Holiday Market in Royal Oak, or a restaurants like Howe's Bayou in Ferndale.
Voiceover Artist Randy Thomas of Oak Park
- Check out the Detroit Free Press' oral history of Eminem's Slim Shady LP
- Aaron Foley says Shinola isn't saving Detroit.
- Seth's Notable Story: Backlash for a Tacos ‘N Tequila Crawl planned for May 4th in Greektown
- Becky's Notable Story: Randy Thomas is the first woman ever to announce the Academy Awards and did her 10th Oscars.
- Seth's Shoutout: Standby in The Belt (order the Flip Tricks)
- Becky's Shoutout: Friday Night Live! at the Detroit Institute of Art
- Josh's Shoutout: Baltimore Gallery's Sound Off Sundays
Michelle Williams Plays Diana Ross on BET's American Soul
- Michigan or Michigan State: Michigan ‘cuz he's a Charles Woodson Fan
- Favorite Detroit Dive Bar: Trixie’s
- Favorite Detroit Musical Artist: Aaliyah
- Wish for the Future of Detroit: To reclaim the title, “The Paris of the West”
- Detroit Comedian We Should Know: Mic Larry, Robert Jenkins, Heather Jay, and Melanie Hearns
- Best Place for Bachelor Party: Club Truth
- Last Thing He Went to Canada for: MLK Ski Weekend
Rest in Peace Detroit Comedian Coolaide