Caleb Malooley, singer and guitarist for the rock band the Gasoline Gypsies, joins Seth and Becky on the podcast to talk about what's happening in Detroit, including the passing of Mr. Rhythm, the new Red Wings documentary, and a celebration of marriage at the Charles Wright Museum.
Plus, Bailey Sisoy Isgro of Detroit History Tours talks about Women's History Month and the Nain Rouge.
Here's what's happening in metro Detroit for the week of March 18th, 2019:
- Thursday 3/21: Amanda Palmer at The Masonic Temple
- Friday 3/22: Honey Monsoon at The Loving Touch
- Saturday 3/23: Will Sessions at The Marble Bar
- Monday 3/25: Justin Timberlake at Little Caesars Arena
- Monday 3/25: Metric at The Fillmore
- Wednesday 3/27: Mumford & Sons w/Cat Power at Little Caesars Arena
“Bacon Fat” by Andre Williams (a.k.a. “Mr. Rhytyhm”)
Amanda Palmer's Ted Talk
- Thursday 3/21: Australia's Thunder from Down Under Sound Board
- Saturday 3/23: Samraaj: The Empires of Hindustan at Music Hall
- Saturday 3/23: Steven Wright at Royal Oak Music Theatre
- Sunday 3/24: Guy Branum at Detroit Shipping Company
- Wednesday 3/27: B Simone at Punch Line Comedy Lounge
- Detroit Public Theatre: Girlfriend (opening)
- Tipping Point Theatre: Popcorn Falls (opening)
- Sunday 3/24: Black Marriage Day at the Charles H. Wright Museum sponsored by Black Family Development.
- The new documentary about the Detroit Red Wings, The Russia Five, is coming to theaters.
- Design Core Detroit is now accepting applications for its competitions.
The Russia Five Trailer
Food & Drink
- The Jefferson Chalmers neighborhood will get new restaurants this year, including Coriander Kitchen & Farm, Norma G's, and Alma Kitchen
- Saturday 3/23: Bees in the D Honey Dinner/Fundraiser at Blake's Orchard in Armada
- Seth's Notable Story: DTW has been recognized as one of the best North American airports servicing between 25 and 40 million passengers per year.
- Becky's Notable Story: Grandma Techno is raising money for her new book, They Call Me Grandma Techno. You can support the Kickstarter campaign.
- Becky's Shoutout: Spun Sugar Detroit, For The Love of Sugar, and Hip Hop Bake Shop
- Seth's Shotout: Author Josh Malerman, has announced that a sequel to Bird Box called Malorie will be published on October 1st.
- Caleb's Shoutout: The Native Howl
Grandma Techno's Kickstarter Campaign
- Favorite Album by a Michigan Band: Bob Seger's Night Moves
- Favorite Michigan Beer: Bell's Two Hearted Ale
- Favorite Outdoor Festival: Wheatland Music Festival in Remus
- Favorite Brunch Spot in Port Huron: Atrium Cafe
- Favorite Summer Vacation Spot in Michigan: Anywhere in the Upper Peninsula
Justin Timberlake with Chris Stapleton, “Say Something”